9/3/2012 WWE RAW Results
– The 2012 Labor Day WWE RAW kicks off with a look back at Jerry Lawler and WWE Champion CM Punk on last week’s show. We see their in-ring encounter and then the steel cage match where AJ Lee confirmed Punk vs. John Cena for Night of Champions. They show Punk’s post-match attack on Lawler and Cena trying to make the save.
– We’re live from the Allstate Arena in Chicago. Michael Cole shows us pre-RAW footage where he came out to the announce table. Jerry Lawler’s music played but Lawler did not come out. Backstage cameras cut to Lawler and CM Punk brawling backstage. Officials separated the two but they broke free and Lawler ran into a big boot. We go to the RAW opening video.
– Justin Roberts is in the ring to introduce the World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus and out he comes.
Sheamus takes the mic and talks about Chicago. Sheamus says it’s time for Alberto Del Rio’s party to end. He goes on but is interrupted by WWE Champion CM Punk. Punk comes out, still in jeans and a t-shirt, to a big pop from the hometown crowd. Punk raises the WWE Title belt on the stage and gets the crowd hyped some more. The crowd starts chanting his name when the music stops.
Punk tells Sheamus not to come out and try to talk to his hometown. The crowd pops. Punk says they can’t relate to a guy like Sheamus but they can relate to a guy like him because he’s from here. Punk asks how everyone is doing and says what we saw from earlier was him beating up Jerry Lawler. Punk says the cameras did not catch Lawler attacking him from behind. Punk says there is only one king in Chicago and when you come at the king, you better not miss. Punk says Lawler got what he deserved, Chicago style. Punk says last week, he decided to teach Lawler a lesson in respect until a white knight named John Cena showed up. The crowd boos Cena’s name. Punk asks the fans if he turned his back on them and they chant no. Punk says Cena agrees with Jerry Lawler which means he’s disrespecting him. Punk says if you choose to foolishly disrespect the WWE Champion, then it’s Cena who has turned his back on the WWE Universe. Sheamus cuts Punk off and the crowd boos him.
Punk isn’t happy about being interrupted. Sheamus says he’s the World Heavyweight Champion and gets a major mixed reaction from the crowd. Sheamus compares The Rock interrupting Punk to Punk interrupting him tonight. Sheamus says at least Rock had the guts to step in the ring, unlike Punk who is up on the stage. Sheamus challenges Punk to come to the ring. Punk says he already beat up one goon tonight. Punk says Sheamus’ title makes him the second best and in the pecking order, he’s right behind Punk. Punk tells Sheamus to shut his mouth. Sheamus says Punk is talking out of his arse. Punk goes on but AJ Lee’s music hits and out comes the General Manager. AJ faces Punk on the stage and has two main events for tonight. To hype Night of Champions, one will be Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena and the other is Punk vs. Sheamus. AJ skips down the ramp and around the ring before coming up and heading to the back.
– We see Randy Orton walking backstage before going to commercial.
Dolph Ziggler vs. Randy Orton
Back from the break and out comes Vickie Guerrero. She says she has some issues with AJ Lee that she will discuss later tonight but for now she’s here to introduce Dolph Ziggler and out he comes. We get a look back at SmackDown where Randy Orton defeated Ziggler. Out next comes Orton to the ring.
The bell rings and they go at it. Ziggler connects with a dropkick and shows off some. Orton with a headlock and a shoulder block. They run the ropes and Orton hits another followed by a dropkick of his own and a pin attempt. More back and forth action. They end up on the floor and Orton tosses Ziggler into the fan barrier and clotheslines him. We go to commercial with Ziggler down on the floor.
Back from the break and Orton is in control of Ziggler inside the ring. Orton with a series of right hands in the corner. Ziggler kicks Orton’s leg out and hits a swinging neckbreaker. Ziggler throws Orton into the fan barrier at ringside now. Ziggler brings Orton back in the ring and covers him for a 2 count. Ziggler shows off some and drops a big elbow for a 2 count. Ziggler takes Orton to the mat with a headlock and does a handstand. Orton finally breaks free and makes a comeback but runs into an elbow in the corner. Ziggler with a running clothesline for 2.
Ziggler goes to the top but Orton stops him. Orton with an uppercut and a headbutt. Orton climbs up for a superplex and nails it for a 2 count. They get up and Orton unloads with clotheslines and the powerslam. Orton takes Ziggler to the apron but has the draping DDT blocked. Ziggler comes back in but gets caught with the backbreaker. 2 count by Orton. Ziggler leaps up and connects with a big DDT out of nowhere. 2 count for Dolph. Ziggler misses the big leg drop and Orton takes him to the apron for the draping DDT. Orton readies for the RKO as the crowd finally wakes up. Ziggler blocks it but Orton rolls him up. Ziggler turns it around with a roll up of his own. Ziggler uses Orton’s tights for leverage and gets the win.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
– Before Ziggler and Vickie can make it to the back, WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz starts to make his way to ringside. Cole plugs tonight’s main events as Miz joins Cole on commentary. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Cole talks about Punk attacking Lawler before RAW began. Cole has The Miz on commentary with him now. Cole leads us to a look back at last week’s anger management classes with Kane and Daniel Bryan.
– Now we get this week’s class. Daniel Bryan has his anger collage that the teacher asked them to do. Bryan’s is a sheet of paper with a bunch of YES! and NO! written all over it. Bryan rips the paper up and says he can’t take the chants anymore. Kane is asked to sh are his collage next. It’s just a blank piece of paper. The teacher asks Kane if that’s how he feels inside – blank. Kane asks if they want to see how he feels inside. Kane balls the paper up and throws it in a trash can, then makes the trash can explode. The teacher wants to talk about their families and that’s it for now.
– We see Sin Cara walking backstage. He meets up with his partner Rey Mysterio and they head to the ring as we see a replay from SmackDown where Cara made the save when Cody Rhodes was attacking Rey. Cara and Rey head to the ring as we go to commercial.
Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes and Tensai
Back from the break and out first comes Rey Mysterio. His partner Sin Cara is out next. Tensai comes out first for the next team and his partner is Cody Rhodes.
The match starts off with Cody and Cara. They go back and forth before sizing each other up again. We go to commercial again.
Back from the break and Tensai beats Cara down in the corner. Cody tags in and continues the assault. Cody with a pin attempt. Cody puts knees in Cara’s back and puts him in a surfboard submission. They go on and Tensai comes back in. Cara finally fights back and kicks Tensai in the head. Tensai tags out and Cody comes back in. Cara turns it around and tags in Mysterio. Rey and Cody go at it. Rey takes him down from the ropes and goes to the top for a senton. Pin attempt by Rey but Cody kicks out.
Tensai comes back in and goes at it with Rey. Rey hits 619 and Cara comes in with a big missile dropkick. Cody comes from behind on Mysterio and lays him out. Rey kicks out at 2. Rey goes for 619 on Cody and nails it. Rey tags in Cara and he leaps off the top onto Cody for the win.
Winners: Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara
– Another anger management skit with Kane and Daniel Bryan. Bryan is instructed to stand up and fall backwards so Kane can catch him. The teacher says they will have a real breakthrough if they can complete this task. Bryan says he trusts Kane. Harold ends up being the one to fall but Bryan and Kane both let him fall. Bryan says he thinks he’s finally understood Kane. Looks like they had a breakthrough.
CM Punk vs. Sheamus
We go to the ring and out comes the World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus. Cult of Personality hits next and out comes WWE Champion CM Punk. Punk is not dressed to wrestle. He’s still wearing jeans, a t-shirt and boots. Punk takes the mic and the crowd chants his name. Punk says Chicago gets it. They understand the WWE Champ vs. the World Champ is a WrestleMania main event. Punk says he’s a main event wrestler. Punk says the Chicago fans respect all his decisions. Punk brings up Labor Day and says the fans will respect that he’s also taking the day off work. Punk drops the mic and walks out of the ring. He stops at ringside to hold up the title belt before walking off. Sheamus grabs the mic and says Punk just disrespected the fans by walking away. The cameras cut backstage and we see Punk walking. AJ Lee stops him and doesn’t want him to leave. Punk says his contract has personal days and this is one of them. Punk gets into a car and they drive off. Matt Striker walks up and asks AJ what she’s going to do about the main event. AJ asks Striker who he is. She tells Striker to go tell Sheamus to stay in the ring because she will find an opponent. AJ runs off and we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Alberto Del Rio makes his way out with Ricardo Rodriguez while Sheamus waits in the ring. Del Rio and Ricardo are going to watch this one from ringside it looks like.
Jack Swagger vs. Sheamus
Jack Swagger comes out and it looks like he will be the opponent for Sheamus. Del Rio joins Miz and Cole on commentary.
The bell rings and they go at it. Sheamus with an early pin attempt. Swagger takes him to the corner with shoulder thrusts. Sheamus quickly turns it around and goes to the top with a big shoulder block for 2. Sheamus with more offense but he misses the high knee. Swagger looks to make a comeback and nails the Swagger Bomb for 2. They go on and Sheamus applies the Texas Cloverleaf for the submission win.
– After the match, Ricardo distracts Sheamus from the apron. Del Rio attacks from behind but Sheamus brawls with him. Ricardo comes in and Sheamus tosses him into the turnbuckles. Sheamus hits White Noise on Del Rio. Sheamus goes for the Brogue Kick but Ricardo pushes Sheamus out of the way and takes the kick himself. Trainers come in to check on Ricardo as Sheamus heads to the back.
– Still to come tonight, Cena vs. Del Rio. Back to commercial.
Eve Torres vs. Kaitlyn
Back from the break and out comes Eve Torres. Her opponent is the #1 contender Kaitlyn. We get a look back at how Kaitlyn became the #1 contender by winning a battle royal 2 weeks ago.
WWE Divas Champion Layla is on commentary for this one as Eve and Kaitlyn lock up. Kaitlyn with an early pin attempt. Eve fights out of a headlock and they tangle some more while Layla and Miz argue on commentary. Eve tries to offer a handshake to Kaitlyn but she slaps it. They lock up again. Eve takes Kaitlyn down and not much is happening at all in this match. It looks like they botch a move and Kaitlyn goes down holding her stomach. She gets up and Eve kicks her before hitting the neckbreaker for the win, finally.
Winner: Eve Torres
– After the match, Eve tends to Kaitlyn and helps her to the mat. Eve raises Kaitlyn’s hand before going to ringside where Layla is. Eve plays nice and offers a handshake to Layla. Layla finally shakes it and Eve walks off smiling.
– We see Jack Swagger walking backstage and he’s leaving the arena. AJ Lee stops him. Swagger says he’s taking some extended time off. He doesn’t know what happened but he’s better than this. AJ says Brock Lesnar left, Chris Jericho left, Punk left, everybody is leaving. Swagger says he’s sorry and walks off. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get more anger management classes. Bryan says he will be glad to give Kane a rematch from their SummerSlam match, anytime he wants. Kane thanks Bryan and says one day, he will be happy to accept that challenge and try his best not to eviscerate Bryan. This upsets Bryan and they get in each others face before having words. They tell Harold to shut up and everyone leaves the room. The teacher tries to get them to stop but Kane grabs Bryan by the throat. The teacher flips out big time and leaves the room with Bryan and Kane looking no stunned.
– Cole stands up at ringside and says AJ Lee wants the fans to decide the fate of Bryan and Kane. Go to Twitter and tweet #WWEmatch if you want a singles match, #WWEtag if you want them to compete as a tag team and #WWEhug if you want them to hug.
– Matt Striker is backstage and asks Del Rio for an update on Ricardo Rodriguez. David Otunga comes out of the dressing room and says on behalf of his client, there is no comment at this time. Otunga and Del Rio go back in to check on Ricardo as we go to commercial.
Ryback vs. Jinder Mahal
Back from the break and Jinder Mahal waits in the ring as Ryback comes out. Ryback strikes first but runs into a knee in the corner. Jinder works Ryback over and takes control now. Ryback quickly turns it around and takes Mahal to the corner but gets kicked in the face again. Mahal with a shoulder from the second rope and a 1 count.
Ryback comes with a big slam and the powerbomb. Ryback gets the “Feed Me More” chant going and runs over Mahal with the big clothesline. He scoops Mahal up with Shellshocked for the win.
– After the match, we get replays before Ryback gets the crowd to chant some more.
– Cole and Miz plug the new WWE app and the poll on Twitter to determine what happens with Kane and Daniel Bryan. Back to commercial.
– Matt Striker is backstage looking for comments from AJ. He asks her what she plans to do about things falling apart. She makes Cena vs. Del Rio for tonight a Falls Count Anywhere match and orders Striker to go tell them.
– We go to the ring and out comes Daniel Bryan. Bryan is trying to stay calm and not get mad at the fans. The pyro goes off and out comes Kane next. It’s time to find out what the fans voted for on Twitter.
Cole stands up at ringside to hype the poll. #WWEhug wins with 55% of the vote. Kane and Bryan look at each other in the ring. The referee orders them to meet in the middle and hug each other. Bryan starts yelling no as the crowd chants yes. Kane doesn’t look too happy either. They hesitate but look like they’re going to embrace. Kane just can’t do it and backs up in the corner. They go to hug again and this time Bryan backs off. They try again but Bran just chest bumps Kane. The crowd boos. They try again and this time it’s Kane who chest bumps. One more time and now they meet in the middle of the ring. Bryan puts his arms around Kane but Kane doesn’t hug back. This upsets Bryan a bit. The crowd chants for Kane to hug Bryan back. They meet again in the middle of the ring and hug awkwardly. Apparently that wasn’t good enough and they’re ordered to really hug each other. The crowd pops at the sight of Kane and Bryan hugging. They start patting each other on the arm and things get physical. Bryan shoves Kane but Kane shoves back.
They do this again and Bryan strikes Kane in the face. Kane goes after him but Bryan ducks and unloads with kicks. Kane drops Bryan with a big right hand but Bryan dumps him out to the floor. Bryan leaps off the apron but gets caught with a big right hand in mid-air. Kane whips Bryan into the fan barrier several times and grabs a steel chair. Kane hits Bryan in the gut with it and rolls him into the ring. Kane chokeslams Bryan and grabs the chair again. Kane wedges Bryan’s head in the chair and climbs to the top. Referees run down and try to stop him. Bryan gets up with the chair and knocks Kane off the top with it before running off.
– Still to come tonight, Cena vs. Del Rio in a Falls Count Anywhere match. We see Santino Marella walking around backstage as we go to commercial.
WWE United States Title Match: Santino Marella vs. Antonio Cesaro
Back from the break and out comes Santino Marella for his SummerSlam pre-show rematch. The WWE United States Champion Antonio Cesaro comes out next with Aksana. We get a side video from earlier today of Cesaro saying “success” in 5 different languages. He says he personifies success.
Santino strikes first and drops a headbutt. He pulls out the Cobra but Cesaro unleashes a series of headbutts on him. Cesaro slams Santino and stomps on the Cobra. Cesaro with more offense in the corner and a big clothesline. Santino ducks another clothesline and grabs the Cobra. Santino kicks Cesaro to the apron and goes to put the Cobra on. Cesaro rushes back in and lays Santino out with the Neutralizer for the win.
Winner: Antonio Cesaro
– Still to come tonight, Del Rio vs. Cena in a Falls Count Anywhere match. Back to commercial.
Zack Ryder vs. Heath Slater
Back from the break and they go at it. Back and forth to start. Ryder slams Slater on his face for a pin attempt. Cole hypes how Slater and Ryder have been feuding on Twitter. Slater turns it around and stomps away on Ryder. Slater with a neckbreaker combo out of the corner for another pin attempt.
Slater with a series of elbows before a big elbow drop and another pin attempt. Ryder finally makes a comeback and hits a missile dropkick from the corner. Ryder hits the Broski Boot but Slater counters the Ruff Ryder. More back and forth action until Ryder finally hits the Ruff Ryder for the win.
Winner: Zack Ryder
– After the match, Vickie Guerrero comes out screaming on the mic. She wants to talk about her issues with AJ Lee. Vickie says she won’t leave until AJ comes out. Vickie demands a chair and takes a seat in the ring.
– Back from a commercial break and Vickie is still sitting in the ring. She reminds everyone why she’s out here – two weeks ago AJ put Dolph Ziggler’s Money in the Bank contract on the line and last week she attacked her in the ring. Like Clint Eastwood at the Republican National Convention, Vickie pretends that the empty chair is AJ and starts talking to it. AJ’s music hits and out she comes.
AJ says she just got off the phone with WWE’s Board of Directors. They told her her actions are some times juvenile and she can no longer put her hands on anyone. They also want her to apologize and she does. Vickie mocks her and asks if she’s apologizing because she’s an inept General Manager or is she really apologizing. Vickie demands an apology from AJ right now. They come face to face and the crowd wants AJ to slap her. AJ hesitates but tells Vickie she’s sorry. Vickie calls that pathetic. She wants another apology and wants this one to mean something. AJ apologizes again and Vickie slaps her. AJ comes back ready to fight but remembers she can’t touch anyone. Vickie laughs and goes to leave but stops. Vickie slaps AJ again. Vickie laughs some more before leaving the ring. Vickie skips up the ramp laughing as AJ fumes in the ring. AJ slams the microphone and tosses the chair. She grabs the chair again and starts beating the mat with it. She screams like she’s crazy and tosses the chair out of the ring. AJ throws a fit and appears to be having some kind of nervous breakdown.
– Up next is Del Rio vs. Cena. We go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see footage from earlier when CM Punk attacked Jerry Lawler before RAW and then Punk leaving the arena and taking the night off.
Falls Count Anywhere Match: Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena
We get hype for Night of Champions before John Cena makes his way to the ring to a mixed reaction from the crowd. Alberto Del Rio’s music hits next and he comes in driving a car. There is no introduction from Ricardo Rodriguez as he’s still recovering from the Brogue Kick.
Back from the break and Del Rio is working Cena over in the corner. Cena fights to his feet as the crowd does dueling chants for Cena. They trade kicks and punches. Both men go down after colliding with clotheslines. Del Rio drops Cena with a Backstabber and covers him for a 2 count.
Del Rio goes to the top but Cena dropkicks him in mid-air. Cena hits his usual moves and the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Del Rio blocks the Attitude Adjustment and drops Cena over the top rope. Del Rio whips Cena into the steel steps now. Del Rio works Cena over no the floor. Cena ends up taking Del Rio down off the steps and covering for a 2 count on the floor. Cena takes apart the announce table now. Del Rio runs up and kicks him in the back of the head. Del Rio with a 2 count on the floor. Del Rio with another big kick now. Cena blocks a suplex and scoops Del Rio for the AA. Del Rio blocks it and shoves Cena head first into the ring post.
Del Rio grabs a steel chair but Cena ducks and he hits the ring post. Cena dumps Del Rio over into the crowd. Cena ends up walking up steel steps on to the announce table with Del Rio on his shoulders for the AA. Del Rio counters with a side suplex and both of them go crashing through the table. Del Rio gets up first and stomps on Cena before rolling him back in the ring. Del Rio brings a mic in the ring and mocks Cena. Del Rio stomps on Cena and insults Chicago. Del Rio says now he’s going to break Cena’s arm. Cena counters and applies the STF. Del Rio breaks the hold but ends up on the floor as Cena moves out of the way. They fight up the ramp now. Del Rio with a superplex on the ramp for a 2 count.
They fight over to Del Rio’s car now. Cena grabs one of the big speakers and goes to throw it at Del Rio’s car but Del Rio attacks and hurts Cena’s leg. They fight into the backstage area now. Cena throws a big trash can but Del Rio moves. Cena crashes Del Rio through the backstage interview set. Del Rio goes for the armbreaker but Cena blocks it. Cena drops Del Rio on top of a bunch of production cases with an AA. CM Punk appears out of nowhere and drops Cena with a kick to the head. Punk lays Del Rio on top of Cena for the win.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
– Del Rio’s music plays as Cena picks Cena up. Punk drops his face on top of the car and Cena is out. Punk yells “respect” in Cena’s face and backs off. Punk holds the WWE Title up before getting in the car. The car drives by Cena and we see Paul Heyman is the driver. RAW goes off the air.