WWE SummerSlam 2012 Results
– The 2012 WWE SummerSlam pre-show kicks off with Matt Striker and Scott Stanford at ringside. They plug tonight’s pre-show match as fans continue to pile into the Staples Center in Los Angeles. More hype for tonight’s matches. We go to a video for the WWE Title match.
– Josh Mathews is backstage with Big Show. Show cuts him off and says tonight isn’t a Triple Threat. The only threat in the match is him. Show says he’s a living, breathing, angry giant – not some made up Hollywood super hero. Show says he’s a threat to any living man today. Show says he will crush John Cena and obliterate CM Punk, then become the new WWE Champion.
WWE United States Title Match: Antonio Cesaro vs. Santino Marella
We go to the ring and out first comes Antonio Cesaro with Aksana. Aksana takes the mic and cuts a promo before the match. She has Antonio say “great” in five different languages. Cesaro says he personifies greatness and they kiss. Out next comes the WWE United States Champion Santino Marella.
The match starts off winth some back and forth. Cesaro takes Santino to the corner and beats him down. Santino dodges a splash in the corner and pulls out the Cobra early. Cesaro hits him from behind and stop the Cobra from coming out. Cesaro goes back to work on Santino and beats him with headbutts. 2 count for Cesaro.
More offense by Cesaro and another 2 count. Cesaro keeps a headlock applied. The Cobra was down on the floor but a crew member has put it on the apron. Santino crawls for it but Cesaro pulls him back. Santino kicks off him and tries for it again but Cesaro hits a big gutwrench slam. Cesaro grabs the Cobra and rips it to shreds. Santino flips out and unloads on Cesaro. Santino misses the headbutt. Cesaro goes for his finisher but it’s countered. Santino pulls out a back-up Cobra. Aksana tries to distract him and it works. Cesaro with the front piledriver for the win and the title.
Winner and New WWE United States Champion: Antonio Cesaro
– Triple H is backstage getting ready. Referee Scott Armstrong is in there with him. Triple H says this is the biggest match he will ever referee. Triple H says this is bigger than him, it’s about WWE – Scott’s family and everything. Triple H says referee’s discretion means they can bend the rules, hell even break them. Triple H says this match won’t end in a count out or DQ. He says someone wins by making the other tap out or getting the pin. Armstrong nods that he understands. Triple H promises him this is going to be a fight to the finish. Triple H tells Scott to let them fight.
– The announcers hype Lesnar vs. Triple H some more as fans continue to enter the arena. Striker and Stanford hype the other matches for SummerSlam.
– The 2012 WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view kicks off with a look back at 25 years of SummerSlam. We get a look at the Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H match.
– We’re live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles as the pyro goes off. Michael Cole welcomes us to SummerSlam. He’s joined by Jerry Lawler on commentary.
Dolph Ziggler vs. Chris Jericho
We go to the ring for tonight’s opening match. Vickie Guerrero comes out first and introduces Dolph Ziggler. We get a look back at Ziggler winning his Money in the Bank briefcase. The lights go out and Chris Jericho makes his way down next.
Jericho has his ribs taped up. Ziggler tries to stall to start the match but Jericho chases him around the ring and back in. Jericho with offense now. Jericho works Ziggler over and plays to the crowd. Jericho takes him to the corner and comes out with a right hand. Ziggler plays leap frog and goes down with a big chop. Jericho keeps control until Ziggler blocks a suplex and drops Jericho’s ribs over his knees. Ziggler with a pin attempt and more offense in the corner as the crowd chants for Jericho.
Jericho fights back and sends Ziggler over the top rope. Jericho goes for a crossbody from the corner but misses it on Ziggler on the apron and lands out on the floor. Ziggler throws Jericho into the apron and brings him back in the ring for a 2 count. Ziggler with a splash in the corner and another 2 count as Vickie yells at the referee. Ziggler shows off some more and drops Jericho with a neckbreaker after talking trash in his face. Ziggler poses and pins Jericho for a 2 count. Jericho fights with chops and now they trade shots. Jericho rolls Ziggler up for 2. Ziggler comes right back and clotheslines him.
More back and forth. Jericho with an enziguri kick. Ziggler goes for the sleeper hold and locks it in now. Ziggler ends up on top and Jericho chops him some more. Jericho with a bunch of right hands on top followed by a big hurricanrana. Jericho crawls over and covers Ziggler for 2. Ziggler drops Jericho now and covers him. They trade shots and get back to their feet. Jericho with a running bulldog. Jericho goes for the Lionsault but Ziggler gets his knees up. Ziggler hits Zig Zag but Jericho kicks out at 2.
Jericho gets up and hits the Codebreaker but it causes Ziggler to roll to the floor. The referee begins counting as Jericho brings Ziggler back in. Vickie grabs Jericho’s leg as he re-enters the ring. Ziggler takes advantage and rolls Jericho up for a 2 count as Vickie screams at ringside. Jericho throws Ziggler shoulder first into the corner. Jericho locks in the Walls of Jericho now. Ziggler taps to end it.
Winner: Chris Jericho
– More hype for Lesnar vs. Triple H. Matt Striker is backstage with Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar. Heyman talks about Triple H talking to Scott Armstrong earlier about tonight’s match. Heyman says Lesnar will finish Triple H tonight and break WWE’s spirit. Lesnar grabs the mic and says this is a fight Triple H can’t win. If you’re not down with that, Heyman has two words for you: tap out.
Kane vs. Daniel Bryan
We go to the ring and out comes Daniel Bryan first. Out next is Kane.
Kane goes after Bryan and gets kicked a few times. Kane catches the third kick and throws him to the mat. They trade shots now but Kane catches him in a big scoop slam. Kane with a dropkick to the face and a 2 count. Kane works Bryan over in the corner now. Bryan tries to counter but gets dropped with a big boot for a 2 count. Bryan fights back with kicks and takes Kane to the corner. It’s not enough as Kane grabs Bryan and tosses him out of the ring.
They fight out on the floor now and Kane makes it back in first. Bryan climbs to the top and dropkicks Kane for a 1 count. Bryan with more kicks. He misses one and Kane runs him over with a big clothesline. Kane with a big splash in the corner and a sideslam for 2. Kane goes to the top now and takes Bryan down with a big right hand. Kane goes for the chokeslam but Bryan slides out and goes to the apron. He drops Kane over the top and comes back in only to get dropped by a Kane right hand. Bryan hits a big shot to Kane’s face and it upsets him. Kane beats Bryan down in the corner as the referee threatens him with a disqualification. Kane has snapped. Bryan trips him into the turnbuckle and kicks him in the face. Bryan goes for the No Lock but Kane struggles. Bryan can’t get it locked but kicks Kane in the face.
Bryan leaps from the top with a headbutt but Kane catches him with a big chokeslam. Kane goes for the Tombstone Piledriver but Bryan counters and rolls him up for the win.
Winner: Daniel Bryan
– After the match, Kane is shown backstage going on a rampage. Josh Mathews approaches him fr comment. Kane grabs him and asks where is “he.” Matthews says “he” already left and gets thrown away. Kane continues tearing stuff up as he walks through backstage.
WWE Intercontinental Title Match: Rey Mysterio vs. The Miz
We go to the ring and out comes Rey Mysterio to a big pop. Rey is wearing Batman inspired gear tonight. Out next comes WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz.
The bell rings and they lock up. Miz drops Mysterio first. Rey takes control for a minute and we get an early pin attempt. Miz regroups on the floor before coming back in and stomps away. Rey with a head scissors takedown but he runs right into an elbow from Miz. Rey ducks a clothesline but gets kicked in the gut. Miz tosses Rey under the bottom rope but he lands out on his feet on the floor. Miz comes out but Rey runs in. Miz tries to come in but Rey dropkicks him back to the floor.
Miz counters on the floor and drops Rey on the barrier. Miz brings it back in the ring and covers for 1. Miz with a knee to the back and rake to the face. More back and forth action. Miz gets Rey on his shoulders for a big backbreaker and a 2 count. Miz continues with the offense and talks some trash. Miz mounts Rey with right hands and then kicks him in the face for another pin attempt. Miz with a headlock now. Rey tries to fight back but Miz drops him for another 2 count. Miz poses for the crowd and most of them boo him. Miz charges in the corner and nails the clothesline but plays to the crowd some more. Miz climbs to the top but Rey knocks him off.
Rey begins to make a comeback but gets caught in a nice powerbomb by The Miz. Another pin attempt on Rey. Rey ducks a kick to the face and rolls Miz up for 2. Rey with a big superkick to the face for 2 now. More back and forth. Rey counters a move and drops Miz with a big DDT. Rey climbs to the top but Miz cuts him off. Miz climbs up but Rey knocks him to the mat. Rey comes off the top with a head scissors takedown. Rey nails 619 and climbs back to the top. Rey misses the headbutt. Miz goes for Skull Crushing Finale but Rey counters and drops him for another pin attempt. Miz drops Rey face first on the turnbuckle and then hits him with the Skull Crushing Finale for the win.
Winner: The Miz
– Eve Torres and Teddy Long are shown walking out of AJ Lee’s office. Teddy says he and the RAW stars love how AJ is doing her job. Eve agrees but you can tell she doesn’t mean it. They walk off and CM Punk appears. He hesitates before walking in. He says she is doing all this to him because he denied her marriage proposal and humiliated her. AJ just listens and won’t answer him. Punk says she has disrespected him like the fans. Punk says he will once again prove he is the best in the world tonight. Punk says on RAW tomorrow night, she and everyone else will be forced to show him some respect. AJ is still staring straight and not acknowledging him. Punk walks off.
– We get a promo video for tonight’s World Heavyweight Title match.
World Heavyweight Title Match: Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus
We go to the ring and out comes Alberto Del Rio as Ricardo Rodriguez does the introduction. World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus is out next to a pop from the crowd.
The bell rings and they lock up. Del Rio takes it to the corner but Sheamus comes out. Sheamus with a headlock and Del Rio takes it back to the corner but is forced to break. They tangle again and tumble over the top to the floor. They brawl and Del Rio slams Sheamus’ face into the announcers table. Sheamus brings it back in the ring but Del Rio kicks him in the head. Del Rio works Sheamus over in the corner now. Sheamus hits a big boot and a swinging neckbreaker for a 2 count. Sheamus works Del Rio over in the corner now.
More back and forth. Sheamus with a senton and a 2 count. Del Rio tries to hang on in the corner and the turnbuckle cover gets removed. Del Rio goes for a cross armbreaker but Sheamus blocks it. Sheamus misses a Brogue Kick and Del Rio kicks him out to the floor. Sheamus fights back but Del Rio goes for the leg. Del Rio brings it back in the ring and comes crashing down off the top for a 2 count. Del Rio with a headlock now. Sheamus fights out and has another neckbreaker blocked. Del Rio goes back to the leg and kicks Sheamus in the face for another 2 count. Del Rio continues the attack on Sheamus and chokes him with the ropes.
Sheamus finally starts to make a comeback but gets caught up in the corner again. Sheamus fights his way in from the apron with headbutts. Sheamus goes to the top but Del Rio stops him. Del Rio climbs up and hits an armbreaker from the top rope for a 2 count. Del Rio with an armbreaker now. Sheamus powers out and powerbombs him. Sheamus hits White Noise but Del Rio kicks out at 2. Sheamus calls for the Brogue Kick but stops and spears Del Rio in the corner after he side steps. Sheamus with a series of forearm shots to the chest on the ropes now. Sheamus with a series of right hands in the corner now. Del Rio counters and drops Sheamus in the corner. Del Rio with an enziguri in the corner for another close 2 count.
Ricardo is yelling from the apron now. Del Rio flips for some reason and pulls Ricardo in the ring and humiliates him. The referee forces Ricardo out of the ring but tosses his shoe to Del Rio. Sheamus grabs that shoe and decks Del Rio with it. Sheamus hits the Irish Curse for the pin but Del Rio’s foot was on the bottom rope.
– After the match, Ricardo is trying to show the referee that Del Rio had his foot on the bottom rope. Michael Cole is outraged also. It looks like Sheamus realizes what happened too but he leaves the ring. Del Rio and Ricardo argue with the referee now. The referee doesn’t want to hear it and heads to the back while Del Rio throws a fit in the ring. Sheamus stops on the stage and smiles with the World Heavyweight Title as we go to replays, which clearly show Del Rio had his foot on the bottom rope. Sheamus’ music finally stops and Del Rio heads to the back.
– Cole and Lawler plug Night of Champions.
– More hype for Triple H vs. Lesnar. We see footage from the pre-show where Triple H told referee Scott Armstrong to let them fight tonight. Cole talks about Shawn Michaels not being here tonight.
WWE Tag Team Title Match: Titus O’Neil and Darren Young vs. Kofi Kingston and R-Truth
We go to the ring and out first comes the challengers Titus O’Neil and Darren Young. Out next come the WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and R-Truth.
Truth starts the match off with Young and unloads on him. Truth drops Young with a shoulder and continues the offense. Truth does a split and drops the big leg drop on Young for a 2 count. Young turns it around and backs Truth in the corner to tag in Titus. They double team Truth and Titus covers for 2. Titus keeps in control until Truth catches him with a big kick to the jaw. Kofi tags in and comes off the top at Titus. Kofi with chops and a dropkick. Kofi ducks a clothesline and leaps onto Titus. Kofi with the Boom Drop.
Kofi calls for Trouble in Paradise but Young distracts him, allowing Titus to roll to the floor. Kofi gets double teamed on the floor now. Titus brings Kofi back in the ring for a 2 count. Titus with knees to the gut and a big front slam for a 2 count. Young comes back and keeps his team in control. Kofi fights out but Young slams him for another pin attempt. Titus tags back in as Kofi tries to fight back but can’t. Titus with an abdominal stretch now. Titus catches Kofi again with a big slam but Kofi kicks him in mid-air and both go down. Truth and Young tag in now. Truth with the offense this time. Truth suplexes Young on his face and covers for 2 as Titus breaks the hold. Kofi comes in but Titus tosses him out of the ring. Kofi hangs on and comes back in to dump Titus to the floor. Kofi leaps from the top to the floor and takes Titus out with a crossbody. Young rolls Truth up from behind for 2. They tangle and Truth drops Young on his face with his finisher for the win.
Winners: Kofi Kingston and R-Truth
– We get footage from the SummerSlam festivities in Los Angeles over the weekend.
– Cole and Lawler hype the WWE Title match and lead us into a video package.
WWE Title Match: Big Show vs. John Cena vs. Big Show
We go to the ring and out first comes John Cena to a mixed reaction from the crowd. Big Show is out next followed by the WWE Champion CM Punk.
The bell rings and Show drops Cena and then Punk. Show hits Cena with a headbutt and fights Punk’s attack off. Show decks Cena again and goes back to Punk. Punk leaps onto Show but Show shoves him to the mat. Show goes back to work on Cena and hits him with a big chop. Punk also gets a big chop against the ropes. Another chop for Cena. Punk chops Show but gets headbutted and then another big chop to the chest. Cena and Punk both fight Show at the same time now. They try for a double suplex but Show reverses it and double suplexes them.
Show whips Cena to the corner and hits him with a big back splash. Cena rolls out to the floor. Punk and Show go at it now. Punk dropkicks his leg out. Punk with kicks to the head and chest now. Show still gets to his feet. Punk calls for and goes for GTS but can’t get Show up. Show knocks him to the mat. Cena comes in for an Attitude Adjustment but Punk kicks them both over to the mat. Punk covers Cena for 2 but Show breaks the pin. Show takes Punk to the corner and works him over now. Show stands on Punk’s back. Show whips Punk hard into the corner and he hits front side first. Show with a big body blow and another big chop in the corner. Show knocks Cena from the apron and he goes back down on the floor. Show misses a splash on Punk. Punk comes off the top but Show catches him in mid-air and lands on him. Show calls for the knockout punch but Cena comes in and unloads on him. Cena runs the ropes but Show spears him for a 2 count.
Show drags Cena and Punk both to the corner. Show goes for the Vader bomb but only hits Cena as Punk rolls out of the way. Punk tries to come back but Show tosses him over the top rope. Show goes to the floor and throws Punk into the ropes, causing him to bounce back and hit the floor. Show comes back in and is met by Cena. Show stops him and catches him with a big sideslam. Show has controlled the whole match just about. Show brings Punk to the apron but Punk drops him over the rope. Cena comes from behind with a side suplex on Show. Cena calls for the Five Knuckle Shuffle but Punk cuts him off and Cena ends up back on the floor. Punk mocks Cena and climbs to the top. Punk goes for the big elbow drop and nails it for a 2 count. Punk with kicks as Show is on his knees. Punk with a submission now. Show powers out and decks Punk. Punk rolls back to the floor as Cena comes in. Cena with a shoulder and then the STF on Show.
Show powers to his feet and rams Cena back into the corner. Cena comes off the second rope but Show catches him and slams him. Punk leaps in the ring and takes Show off his feet. Punk hits the high knee in the corner and then backs up for another. Punk goes for a third high knee and nails it. Show blocks the bulldog. Cena goes to the top now and hits the leg drop on Show. Punk goes for the Anaconda Vice again and locks it. Cena locks in the STF at the same time and Show taps out. Punk and Cena argue with the referee about who’s the winner. AJ Lee comes out to a pop from the crowd. She skips down to the ring and asks for a mic. She has the match restarted. Punk and Cena turn around to a double chokeslam from Show but Cena kicks out at 2. Show covers Punk but he kicks out.
Show goes for the knockout punch on Cena but he hits the Attitude Adjustment. Punk runs over, tosses Cena out of the ring and covers Show for the win.
Winner: CM Punk
– After the match, Cena walks off disappointed as Punk celebrates in the ring and poses with the WWE Title. Punk goes to ringside to celebrate with the fans.
– We see Vince McMahon’s star on the Walk of Fame and see some celebrities in the crowd. Fred Durst flips the camera off. Former WCW Champion David Arquette has a title belt in the crowd. Maria Menounos is wearing a t-shirt with Bob Backlund and Pat Patterson.
– They plug WWE Studios’ The Day and we see the cast in the crowd.
– Highlights from the pre-show with Antonio Cesaro winning the United States Title from Santino Marella are shown.
– Kevin Rudolf is on the stage to perform the SummerSlam theme.
– We get a video package for tonight’s main event.
Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar
We go to the ring and out first comes Brock Lesnar with Paul Heyman. Out next comes Triple H. They exchange stares as Triple H does his entrance.
Justin Roberts foes formal ring introductions. The bell rings and a brawl begins. Lesnar thrusts Triple H back into the corner and works him over. Lesnar goes for a kimura lock in the corner but HHH breaks it. Lesnar with more thrusts and brawling. Lesnar goes for the kimura again and has it locked while Triple H is on the ropes but the hold isn’t broken by the referee. More brawling in the corner until Lesnar gets sent out to the floor. Heyman tries to calm Lesnar down at ringside. Lesnar comes in and takes his gloves off. They knuckle up but Lesnar takes Triple H down and hits him with a big right hand in the back of the head. Triple H rolls to the floor and Lesnar follows him. They trade kicks on the floor and Triple H fights back. Lesnar with knees to the gut. Lesnar slams HHH into the announcers table, slamming him down on his arm. Lesnar comes back in the ring. Scott Armstrong doesn’t count Triple H because of their talk earlier.
HHH comes back in but Lesnar slams him on the arm again. Lesnar goes for the kimura lock again but takes HHH to the corner and pulls the arm against the top rope. Lesnar stomps on HHH now. HHH tries to fight back but gets his arm locked up again by Lesnar. Lesnar tosses HHH shoulder first into the corner and he goes back down. Lesnar scoops HHH for the F5 but HHH counters it. Lesnar counters that with a German suplex throw. We see that Lesnar is bleeding a bit from his nose now. Lesnar stands on HHH’s arm and stomps it. HHH comes back in the ring and they trade kicks. HHH with a DDT. Lesnar comes right back and works on the arm. Lesnar with another slam on top of the arm.
They go back to the floor and Lesnar throws HHH into the steel steps. Lesnar rams HHH back into the Spanish announcers table. Lesnar climbs on top of the tipped over table and leaps off onto HHH with a big right hand. They come back in the ring and Lesnar continues the attack. HHH tries to fight back but Lesnar rolls him up for a 2 count. Lesnar runs into HHH with a big clothesline. HHH blocks a suplex and hits one of his own. Lesnar charges in the corner but HHH ducks the clothesline. HHH goes for a Pedigree but can’t. Lesnar sends HHH flying over the top rope.
HHH sends Lesnar into the announcers table now gut first. Lesnar comes back over and HHH hits him in the gut. Lesnar comes down and yells out about his stomach. Cole points out that Lesnar has a history of stomach problems. Lesnar rolls in the ring but is clutching his stomach in pain. HHH comes in now but Lesnar goes for the arm lock. HHH fights back with knees to the gut. HHH drops Lesnar with a running knee to the midsection. Another big shot from HHH. HHH with more knees to the gut now. HHH catches Lesnar with the big spinebuster now. HHH goes for a Pedigree again but Lesnar counters. Lesnar goes for the F5 but HHH counters with a Pedigree and Lesnar kicks out at 2.
HHH goes down after a blatant low blow from Lesnar. The referee just shakes his head and checks on HHH, asking him if he can continue. Heyman screams that HHH wanted a fight and got one. Lesnar goes for the F5 and this time nails it. HHH kicks out at 2. Lesnar goes back for the kimura lock but HHH fights him off. Lesnar drops HHH and has the kimura locked in this time. HHH puts his foot on the bottom rope for no reason. HHH finally breaks the hold. HHH grabs Lesnar and lays him down with a Pedigree. Lesnar still applies the kimura lock again. HHH won’t tape until Lesnar tightens it. HHH finally taps out to end it.
Winner: Brock Lesnar
– After the match, Lesnar goes to ringside with Heyman as trainers come in to check on Triple H. The announcers fear that HHH’s arm may be broke again as we go to replays. Lesnar leaves and his music stops. Triple H is shown in the ring trying to recover. The crowd chants his name as he pushes a trainer off. He tells the man to get out of the ring. The crowd breaks out in a brief “you tapped out” chant. HHH finally stands up and is met with a mixed reaction, mostly applause from the crowd. Now a Triple H chant breaks out. Triple H hangs around the ring for a few more minutes before exiting. HHH greets some fans at ringside as he makes his way up the ramp, slowly. It looks like he’s getting emotional as he backs up the ramp and the crowd cheers. HHH heads to the back as Lawler speculates that he just said goodbye. SummerSlam goes off the air.